This is the day I’ve been waiting for!
- Everywhere I go people are smiling.
- There’s a skip in their step.
- A man whistles a merry tune.
- Store clerks are jovial, joking with customers.
- Drivers seem to be more courteous.
- The blue sky shines brighter.
- The warm breeze brushes lazily against my cheek.
- Birds sing more cheerily.
- A feathered friend soars above, nesting materials dangling from its beak.
- There goes someone in short sleeves!
- Complete strangers strike up an animated conversation.
- Melt water streams out from beneath towering snow banks.
Spring!! Its welcome signs fill hearts with hope. Hearts that have become weary of an extra long winter of blizzards, freezing rain, cold northerly winds, and mountains of snow. Just when you think it’s warming up for good (as when I wrote the above paragraph on Friday) the next day we plunge back into freezing temperatures with ice pellets bouncing off the windows and skylights.
Two weeks from today is Easter Sunday. I was reminiscing with a friend the other day about memories of wearing spring hats and little white gloves as children. Has the spring weather really changed that much over the years?
In the midst of the latest early spring blizzard I decorated my house with colour!! Tulips, daffodils, crocuses, and hyacinths…pink bunnies and wooly white lambs…a newly purchased decorative bird cage…realistic chocolate ornaments…My husband expressed how much he loves that I make our home more beautiful. He said if it was up to him there might only be a few pictures on the walls!
“Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are His. He changes times and seasons…” (Daniel 2:21)
I’m so grateful God sends the spring after our cold Canadian winters!! Next to fall, it is my other favourite season.
I leave you with a beautiful poem written by Helen Steiner Rice,
After the Winter…God Sends The Spring
Easter is a season
Of Hope and Joy and Cheer,
There’s beauty all around us
To see and touch and hear…
So, no matter how downhearted
And discouraged we may be,
New Hope is born when we behold
Leaves budding on a tree…
Or when we see a timid flower
Push through the frozen sod
And open wide in glad surprise
Its petaled eyes to God…
For this is just God saying –
“Lift up your eyes to Me,
And the bleakness of your spirit,
Like the budding springtime tree,
Will lose its wintery darkness
And your heavy heart will sing” –
For God never sends The Winter
Without the Joy Of Spring.
Until next time,
**All photos by Kathy and James Lai