Mother’s Day Tablescape

Photobucket

I have been wanting to use these dishes in a tablescape for a long time.  I tried at Easter, and just couldn’t make it “work”.  As I pulled them out, yet again, I was determined to “get it together”.  They are such a pretty, dainty pattern.  The contrast between the cream plate and dark table shows them off beautifully.  The table runners I’ve seen through Pinterest, made out of doilies, have really caught my eye.  I love them, and thought they would compliment these old dishes perfectly.

Doily Runner:  The first step was gathering the doilies I wanted to use and laying them out on the table, fitting them together like puzzle pieces.  You can stitch the doilies together with a matching thread wherever they touch each other.  I chose to just lay mine out, without stitching them together.  I like to use them all over my home, and didn’t want to permanently attach them.  I gathered several of these beautiful pieces at local thrift stores for under $1.

Photobucket

The blossoming branches are a wild tree that blooms each spring in Nova Scotia.  My mother told me that Grammie always called them June Plum.  However, this is May, so our spring has come early this year.  :) I snipped several branches and put them in my pink depression glass pitcher.

Photobucket

Photobucket

These dishes were collected in the 1940’s in packages of oatmeal.  I have three teacups and saucers that were my grandmothers.  The rest of this collection I have found in different antique stores over the years.

Photobucket

Photobucket

You have seen these little place card holders before.  I told you their story HERE last Easter.  It was my first tablescape here on Take Six.  No laughing, OK?  😉

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

On the bottom of the plate it says, American Limoges ~ Rosalie ~ 22k gold.  I picked up six dinner plates and the platter at one antique store for $20.  It is not an expensive pattern at all.  But oh so pretty!

Photobucket

We are celebrating Mother’s Day this year as we usually do.  We will gather with family, each one contributing to a wonderful meal.  What a blessing!

How will you celebrate Mother’s Day?

May 9, 2012 - 7:24 pm

Susan - I have a couple of plates in this pattern! I just love them!

May 9, 2012 - 8:24 pm

Holly - I was wondering what the flowering bush was because I cut some for myself this week too. Such a beautiful tablescape. Happy Mother’s Day Tanya.

May 9, 2012 - 9:37 pm

Barbara F. - Beautiful table, those dishes remind me of my grandmother’s! Love the doilies. xo

May 9, 2012 - 11:00 pm

Pamela Gordon - I love the way you set this table with the lacey doilies, June plum blooms and the gold edged plates. It works together very well. Beautiful! Happy Mother’s Day to you!

May 9, 2012 - 11:40 pm

Rebecca - I’m totaleeeeee loving everything I see! You are so gifted…the doilies look so GREAT! LOVE THAT!

xoRebecca

May 9, 2012 - 11:42 pm

Desire Empire - Fancy collecting dishes out of packets of oatmeal. Sure beats the plastic junk you get these days.

Your tablescape is lovely and I’m glad you persevered. It’s lovely to use heirloom china that means so much
Carolyn

May 10, 2012 - 12:04 am

Mary - So beautiful from the doily runner to the pink depression glass and china! I love the flowering branches in the pitcher! Happy Mother’s Day :)

May 10, 2012 - 12:13 am

Linda @ A La Carte - This is such a pretty table! Love the dollies on the table and you are right they are perfect for these dishes!

May 10, 2012 - 12:26 am

Pat's Pink Apron - Wonderful setting so pretty.
Have a lovely mother’s day.

May 10, 2012 - 12:42 am

Judy Bigg - Beautiful post, such a lovely table you are sharing. I so wish I had some of the many dollies my Grandmother made.

May 10, 2012 - 12:57 am

Blondie's Journal - This is so pretty, I love what you did with the doilies and your china is beautiful! I hope you are able to add to it. I noticed the pretty flowers right away, perfect for this table!

Happy Mother’s Day!

XO,
Jane

May 10, 2012 - 1:29 am

Patty (Patty's Pretty Things) - I didn’t know dishes came with oatmeal. Your dishes are lovely and I love the doilies.

May 10, 2012 - 1:55 am

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest - Your tablescape is GORGEOUS!

I love that china – and love learning about its history.

The gilding is amazing on it.

Have a wonderful Mother’s Day!

May 10, 2012 - 2:12 am

Debbie - Beautiful, especially against the dark wood! I love the doily runner idea and want to try that. I also love the dishes. Isn’t it amazing the places folks used to get their dishes? Oatmeal? Really? That’s just cool.

May 10, 2012 - 2:20 am

Yellow Rose Arbor - Lovely Mother’s Day tablescape! Love the doilies and dark wood. The china is so beautiful, I think my grandmother had some of those pieces too!

Happy Mother’s Day!

Katherine

May 10, 2012 - 2:33 am

Marlis - I’ve been meaning to collect enough doilies to that myself.. you’ve given me another push.. Yours are gorgeous. I love how it all turned out. Your dishes are amazing pieces. I so love them. Especially on the bare table.. the juxtaposition is fabulous. Thanks for sharing your wonderful creation.. have a happy mother’s day. xo marlis

May 10, 2012 - 3:55 am

Remember me, Remember when... - Wow! I have the same dishes!!!
My sister-in-law gave them to me a few years ago…they were her grandmother’s Must have Mine don’t have the scalloped edge though! I always thought they must have been some sort of a promotion because she had like 3 sets of sugar and creamers. I love the pattern. Your tablescape is beautiful!!!!

May 10, 2012 - 3:23 pm

Tricia - This table really shows off those special dishes! The pink napkins in the glasses look wonderful and really bring out the pink in the china. I love that domed dish in the pink Depression glass — very special! Happy Mother’s Day!

May 10, 2012 - 6:08 pm

Rustown Mom - I love the doily runner, too. What a nice idea, and I wouldn’t have stitched them, either. I have mine all over the house. I remember my mom getting glasses in the oatmeal box, waaay back in the 60’s…

May 10, 2012 - 8:46 pm

xinex - The plates are beautiful,mperfect for Mother’s Day. Your whole table is lovely…Christine

May 10, 2012 - 9:06 pm

Shelia - What a lovely table for Mother’s Day you’ve set! Very lovely dishes and the doilies are the finishing touch!
Thanks so much for popping in to see me.
be a sweetie,
Shelai 😉

May 10, 2012 - 9:17 pm

Wanda Lee - Hello there lovely lady,

What a lovely, vintage inspired tablescape for mothers day.

I am always so delighted to see other ladies who use items that are identical to ones that I own.

I recently inherited a rather large-ish number of these dishes from my mama’s late cousin. I am delighted to learn about their history as well..,

I love the pink napkins and the vintage doilies, as well as your pretty dishware that you have pared with the items in this delightful tablescape vignette of yours. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Please feel most warmly welcome to also pop by and visit me at my blog as well. We’ll enjoy ‘some cyber tea’, while you visit and enjoy a little browse around my corner of blogland.

Cheers, blessings and hugs from Wanda Lee

May 10, 2012 - 9:20 pm

FABBY'S LIVING - Your dishes are stunning, just my cuppa tea! You did a gorgeous table and perfect, sweet and elegant for Mother’s Day. Thank you for your lovely visit. Have a blessed MOTHER’S DAY along with your dear family.
FABBY

May 10, 2012 - 9:47 pm

Wanda Lee - My oh my!.., What a small world!..,

Six degrees of separation they say?!?..,

~ AFTER I POSTED MY COMMENT, I DECIDED TO LOOK AT YOUR PROFILE WHEN YOU MENTIONED THE FLOWERS WRE FROM NOVA SCOTIA..,

..,From Susan’s delightful ‘Tablescape Thursday’, to potentially meeting a new fellow blogger perhaps, and dare I say, also perhaps, you are also actually neighbor..,

I was delighted, yet astonished when I saw that you mentioned that the flowers were from Nova Scotia.

.., (My two grandmother’s are both respectively from N.S. ~ One was from Shelburne and the other also from Nova Scotia, was from Yarmouth; they referred to these flowers as, ‘flowering wild pear blossoms’; this is fun to hear of them as by another name.

I live on the edge of
Bedford.., Do you think perhaps we are neighbors?

*************************

I am a also a Christian lady, by the grace of an awesome God..,

I have wanted to host a special tea in my home,( we have delighted in serving afternoon tea, on many an occasion over the years).., especially for fellow bloggers if possible.

I was hoping to perhaps meet some fellow bloggers in our area and to host a tea for them at my home,( that is if we could find even a small community in our area around here, perhaps once or twice a year we could meet to enjoy fellowship, God willing).

Are you perhaps interested?

~ If so, at least initially you could visit my blog @ http://theplumed pen.blogspot.com to say , ‘hello’.

I’d love to hear from you and perhaps talk via phone, or even meet one day, relatively soon. ~ I fully respect the fact and realize that we all lead busy lives, so even a quick acquaintance would be lovely.

Blessings, Wanda Lee

May 11, 2012 - 12:45 am

VictoriaS - I love it all but the little place card holders are completely adorable. You are very good with table scaping. Love it!

May 11, 2012 - 2:54 am

Alycia Nichols - From an oatmeal box? Seriously? Wow…that really takes me back! I can remember when you could get really good stuff from cereal and soap boxes. Those were the days! I love the pattern on these dishes, especially the rim. Very pretty! I’m glad you were able to “pull it together” for this wonderful tablescape! Also love the branches from that tree. Grows wild, huh? That’s a pretty nice wild tree!!! I wouldn’t mind having one of those on hand!!! Have a great weekend as you celebrate Mother’s Day!

May 11, 2012 - 5:14 am

A Cottage in the Clouds - What a pretty table! Love the dishes.

May 12, 2012 - 12:09 am

LDH - Dear Tanya, This is one of the prettiest tables I have seen. The dishes are so lovely ~ I think I recognize the pattern. It all looks beautiful!

May 12, 2012 - 2:39 am

Splenderosa - So so pretty. Happy Mother’s Day, dear.

May 12, 2012 - 12:00 pm

Mumsy¸.¤ª“˜¨ - So beautiful setting and inviting!

Happy Mother’s Day..

May 12, 2012 - 2:28 pm

Diane - Simply stunning….I pinned it to share with others. Diane

May 12, 2012 - 2:35 pm

LV - You turned some great ideas into a lovely table setting.

May 12, 2012 - 4:11 pm

Marigene - What a beautiful table and china pattern. Happy Mother’s Day!

May 12, 2012 - 4:47 pm

Ann - dear tanya,
thank you sooo much for visiting whimsy by the sea! i love your tablescape, and especially where you put the candle in the teacup. (i almost love photos of candles more than the candles themselves sometimes! :-) i ran to get my own grandmother’s dishes because the center floral pattern on yours looks very similar to Scio Pottery’s Hazel dishes, which were popular about the same time. It’s very similar, but not exactly the same. I *love* those old dishes that came in boxes of soap and oatmeal, or that you bought discounted at the grocer’s with a purchase. charming remembrance of simple, sweet times.
blessings, and happy mother’s day,
ann

May 12, 2012 - 5:56 pm

chubskulit - Fabulous pink!

My PINK, enjoy your weekend and happy mother’s day!

May 12, 2012 - 8:09 pm

Carolyn Robbins - What a lovely table! Happy Mother’s Day and Pink Saturday!

May 13, 2012 - 10:46 pm

Carlene @ Organized Clutter - The dishes look absolutely perfect with the dark table and doily runner!

May 14, 2012 - 1:23 am

The Tablescaper - Oh so beautiful. Wonderful to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

– The Tablescaper

May 14, 2012 - 2:49 am

ann k - Well you definitly got it together! This is absolutely beautiful! The delicate plates and doilies against the dark table is gorgeous. Love it!

May 17, 2012 - 1:12 pm

Six Sisters - Wow, this is so wonderful! We’re so glad you linked up to our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” Thanks for coming and we hope you’ll be back. -The Sisters

September 22, 2012 - 8:13 pm

Nita {ModVintageLife} - Love your doily runner! Yes, I wish I had one similar and I would have if I hand’t accidentally thrown all my doilies away. Thanks for stopping by. I’m following you now.