Poker Pots

I love campfires!

What is it about a fire that enables you to sit there and stare at it for hours?

Once it gets dark, I also enjoy staring at the sky while enjoying the fire.

The “Big Dipper” is the one I always find first!

This is our campfire area at the trailer.

My pet peeve about campfire areas is the “Pesky Pokers

(aka marsh mellow and hot dog sticks).

It is usually dark out when we use the “Pesky Pokers“. They do their job of toasting marsh mellows to a delicious sticky golden brown. Or they hold the hot dogs nice and close to the flame so the legs on the “spider dogs” curl up nice and crunchy. However, once their job is complete they are often forgotten on the ground and someone ends up tripping over them.

Here is my solution. Poker Pots!!

I have used these buckets before with candles in the sand.

But, I decided while we were on vacation that this would be a much handier use for them.

We filled the galvanized steel buckets with sand from the river.

I put all the shorter marsh mellow sticks in one pot

and the longer hot dog sticks in the other one.

It works great, because they are portable.

During fine weather the buckets sit by the fire pit,

and if rain is in the forecast we put them in the shed.

Poker Pots…a very good thing!

Fire’s burning, fire’s burning

Draw nearer, draw nearer

In the glowing, in the glowing

Come sing and be merry!

-Girl Guide Campfire Song

Joining:

Metamorphosis Monday

Masterpiece Monday

Transformation Thursday

The Tattered Tag Blog Bash

Strut Your Stuff Saturday

Seasonal Sunday

The Sunday Showcase Party

August 8, 2011 - 11:12 am

Kimberlee - Great idea Tanya! There is something very homey about a fire. :) God sure knew what He was doing.

August 8, 2011 - 1:15 pm

Lauri Ann - LOVE that idea! Someone is always walking on sticky marshmallows around the fire.

August 8, 2011 - 3:47 pm

Barbara F. - It’s been years since I had a marshmallow on a stick! (But it wasn’t over a campfire, just a bbq grill). But this looks so cozy and inviting and romantic, too. xo,

August 8, 2011 - 5:45 pm

Kim @ Starshine Chic - Great idea! I haven’t been camping in a long, long time. But we have a firepit in the backyard. This idea would still work in my own backyard.

August 9, 2011 - 4:25 am

Terry @ La Bella Vie - Love this idea!

Thank you so much for your sweet comment about my screened in sun-room that Susan featured for Metamorphosis Monday.
We’ve enjoyed our little room so much this summer minus the bugs and the baking sun! Plus I can go in and change it up every once in a while to suite my mood and or season!

Terry at LA BELLA VIE

August 9, 2011 - 5:05 am

www.designgivesback.com - Great idea, thanks for sharing. We hope you will consider helping kids with cancer by linking into the Miracle Makeover party this coming week
at http://www.designgivesback.com. Together we can change things! We appreciate you.

Love,
Sherry, DGB Team

August 10, 2011 - 4:46 am

Bunny Jean - That a good way to keep them from poking people… I have a craving for s’mores right about now!

I host a party on Wednesdays that is a showcase for bloggers with less than 500 followers…. and I would like to invite you! (the linky is open now)

xoxo BunnyJean @ BunnyJean’s Decor and More!

I am # 141 in the Met Monday party.

August 11, 2011 - 1:16 am

Custom Comforts - Never heard of poker pots ~ learned another new term today from blogging ~ such an educational place and fun way to learn.
Cindy

August 14, 2011 - 5:55 pm

Snap - What a great idea! And, I can almost taste the dogs and marshmallows! Have a great week!

August 15, 2011 - 1:19 pm

The Tablescaper - Great idea. Thanks so much for bringing your solution to Seasonal Sundays.

– The Tablescaper