When our children were small, we made Empty Tomb Cookies. These are a great way to bring the resurrection part of Easter to life for kids. Begin the process of making these treats on the day before Easter. Read the scripture verse (or have your child read it) that goes along with each step in the recipe.
What You Need:
1 cup whole pecans in a plastic sandwich bag (Optional – we never used them)
1 teaspoon vinegar
3 egg whites
1 pinch of salt
1 cup of sugar
a wooden spoon or wooden meat tenderizer mallet
painter’s or masking tape
How to Do It:
1. On the day before Easter, preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Read John 19:1-3: “Jesus was beaten for our sins…” Beat the nuts with the wooden spoon or mallet, then set aside.
3. Read John 19:28-30: Jesus drank something like vinegar; sniff the vinegar, take a little taste, then place the vinegar in the mixing bowl.
4. Read John 10:10-11: Egg whites symbolize Jesus’ holy, sinless life; add the whites to the mixing bowl.
5. Read Luke 23:27: The women’s tears were bitter; taste a few grains of salt, remember your own sins, then add the salt to the mixing bowl.
8. Read Matthew 27:57-60: Fold the nuts (representing the rock placed over the tomb) into the dough.
9. Drop spoonfuls of the dough (using a knife and spoon) onto a cookie sheet. These mounds represent the rocky tomb Jesus was laid in.
10. Place the cookie sheet in the oven, and turn the oven off.
11. Read Matthew 27:65-66: Seal “the tomb” oven with two pieces of painter’s or masking tape.
12. Read John 16:20 & 22, discuss, then go to bed.
13. On Easter morning (the very next day), read Matthew 28:1-9: Jesus is risen! Behold, the empty tomb! Unseal the oven door and remove the cookies. Break one in half – it is hollow inside. It is empty, just like Jesus’ tomb.
This is another option to teaching the same story to children. This recipe is like a cinnamon bun.
- 1 (10 ounce) can refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 8 large marshmallows
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Separate crescent rolls into individual triangles.
- In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon and sugar.
- Dip a marshmallow into melted butter, then roll in sugar mixture. Place marshmallow into the center of a dough triangle. Carefully wrap the dough around the marshmallow. Pinch the seams together tightly to seal in marshmallow as it melts. Place on a baking sheet. Repeat.
- Bake in a preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- This “tomb” will also be empty when you open it and eat it.
Celebrate with your children the fact that
our Saviour rose again
and is ALIVE today!!